Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hairy Grub

Spring is definitely in the air - yesterday while walking in the park I found this years first Snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis L.) which made me think of spring and the opening of the 2012 fly fishing season.


I greatly desire it to be a season full of dainty mayflies, meaty caddis flies and helicopter-like Danicas.

But my realistic side tells me that the very early season will not be a dry fly affair. So I sat down to tie a half dozen weighted hairy grubs, using highly mobile hare's fur and adding a tag of hot pink in an attempt to increase their allure to Grayling.


The tie:
#12 Skalka Gammarus hook
3.3 mm Gold Tungsten bead
a layer of flat lead
tag of Hot Pink UNI Neon Floss
body of hare fur, dubbed lightly and then vigorously scrubbed with a velcro brush
rib of pearl UNI Micro Tinsel



2 comments:

  1. Great blog and very nice flies...glad I found this one! You are on my blog roll. Here is mine:
    http://bakslengen.wordpress.com/
    Vegard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, appreciate that!

      J.

      Delete